Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Having sharp pain in chest. Strained muscle and got intense like rock pushing out rib cage. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
I am a 30 year old male and this afternoon right as i was leaving work at 4:30PM i had a sudden sharp pain in the right side of my chest. It continued all evening but mostly when i moved or especially when i reached for something. I thought i might have strained a muscle except i haven't been working out much lately. now lying in bed on my back a few minutes ago it got very intense like a rock in my chest pushing out on my upper rib cage. Do i need to go to the hospital?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I believe you need to...

Detailed Answer:

I am a general physician and have been associated with emergency and causality care for couple of years. At this place, we classify sudden onset chest pain as cardiac origin and non-cardiac origin chest pain. Well, most patients with cardiac origin chest pain present with severe retrosternal (under the breast bone) pain with sweating, palpitation, anxiety and breathing difficulty. A small set described this pain referring to other areas such as the neck, arms and back.

Your description doesn't sound like the regular cardiac origin chest pain. However I would love to see a normal EKG and cardiac enzymes before I label you as non cardiac chest pain.

Therefore I insist you to visit your nearest ER. You need not panic; talk to the doctors at ER and let them record your vitals, order EKG and cardiac enzyme markers. If all the reports are normal, you will be discharged with a prescription for antacid and pain killer.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor