Having severe throat pain. What could be causing this?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been in a "mystery diagnosis status for 4 years now. My current problem is my throat hurts on both sides. It is a sharp ache, it hurts whether I am swallowing or not. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You need proper clinical exam& investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You should be investigated thoroughly for your problem. You are 57 years old and it should be taken seriously. There may be various reasons for your problem. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. You should consult ENT specialist. Laryngoscopy(direct and indirect should be done).It can exclude many pathological conditions. Routine hemogram and Barium swallow should be done. CT Scan can also be done if needed. Treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 14 hours later
That's a pretty obscure response. I guess you have no clue as to what the problem is.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Malignant causes should be excluded. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back It is difficult to tell exact cause without proper examination.Your age is 57 years and you have long history,so malignant causes should be excluded.It is only possible by examination. Pain may also be due to acid reflux. You may take combination of tablet pantoprazole(40 mg) & domperidone(10 mg)twice daily for six weeks. It may also be infective in etiology but long history doesn't support this. Allergic causes should also be excluded. So,don't get panicky and get examined by ENT specialist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX