Having severe stomach pain. Blood test and scan normal. What is the problem and cure?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have been suffering with severe stomach pain for several months now that occurs several days a week.. All my tests(colonoscopy, stool samples. bloodwork, ultrasound) have been negative. I take Tagamet, Chinese herbs, probiotics, occasionally antispasmodics and I have weekly acupuncture but the pain persists. I am quite sure it is IBS but there does not seem to be anything I can do that really takes care of the problem. I have about 5 bowel movements a day which are normal in appearance. Sometimes I also have gnawing stomach pain which feels like hunger and a good deal of belching.

I have identified some foods that seem to be triggers(coffee, eggs, onions) and have eliminated these form my diet.. My questions are: is there anything effective to treat IBS and is there an effective method of testing for food sensitivities (not allergies)? I try not to take Immodium as it does stop diarrhea for me but makes me feel lousy.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 18 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I see that you have had sonogram,colonoscopy and
blood tests.I hope your blood tests included the
Celiac disease.This can go undiagnosed for a long
time.Make sure these are done.The other question
I have is whether you had upper endoscopy with
biopsy.There is a condition called" Eosinophilic
Gastroenteritis" being diagnosed more and more.
This can affect the stomach and small intestine
in most of the cases. This is associated with stomach
pain,diarrhea etc.You need to have a biopsy for
confirmation.
There is a product called Digestive Advantage-IBS.
you can find it in drug stores,no need for prescription.
You can discuss these with your doctor.
wish you well.