Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Having severe stomach pain. Blood test and scan normal. What is the problem and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I have been suffering with severe stomach pain for several months now that occurs several days a week.. All my tests(colonoscopy, stool samples. bloodwork, ultrasound) have been negative. I take Tagamet, Chinese herbs, probiotics, occasionally antispasmodics and I have weekly acupuncture but the pain persists. I am quite sure it is IBS but there does not seem to be anything I can do that really takes care of the problem. I have about 5 bowel movements a day which are normal in appearance. Sometimes I also have gnawing stomach pain which feels like hunger and a good deal of belching.

I have identified some foods that seem to be triggers(coffee, eggs, onions) and have eliminated these form my diet.. My questions are: is there anything effective to treat IBS and is there an effective method of testing for food sensitivities (not allergies)? I try not to take Immodium as it does stop diarrhea for me but makes me feel lousy.
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 18 minutes later
I see that you have had sonogram,colonoscopy and
blood tests.I hope your blood tests included the
Celiac disease.This can go undiagnosed for a long
time.Make sure these are done.The other question
I have is whether you had upper endoscopy with
biopsy.There is a condition called" Eosinophilic
Gastroenteritis" being diagnosed more and more.
This can affect the stomach and small intestine
in most of the cases. This is associated with stomach
pain,diarrhea etc.You need to have a biopsy for
There is a product called Digestive Advantage-IBS.
you can find it in drug stores,no need for prescription.
You can discuss these with your doctor.
wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor