Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having severe shell fish allergy. Affecting the semen. What are the complications?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
I have a severe shell fish allergy. If my husband consumes shellfish does it affect the components of his semen, which might affect my allergy during intercourse?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 48 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Anaphylactic reaction is used for life threatening type of allergic reaction.

The anaphylactic reaction you developed after drinking water from your son's water bottle was a coincidence only.

The protein of Shellfish can not enter your body through drinking water from son's water bottle or through touch like holding hand, thus it can not cause allergic reaction in this way.

After eating shellfish, protein gets converted to amino acids during digestion.
Thus semen of your husband should also not cause allergic reactionto you, just due to consumption of shellfish.

You can test allergy to semen by applying it on back of your hand. In case of allergy it will cause itching and inflammation.

Probably psychological component is involved in your reaction to semen and touch.

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor