Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having severe problem related to prostrate gland. Having urinary infections and given antibiotics. Cure?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9634 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I have a query related to my Dad's (Age- 62) health.
In 2007, he had severe problem related to prostrate gland. He was operated in Batra Hospital Delhi at that time. Following are the details from Hospital Discharge Summary Report of 2007 :
Diagnosis: BPH with stricture Urethra with UTI with sepis with Liver Dysfunction.
USG revealed Hepatomegaly with Grade II Prostrate Enlargement
Procedure: CPE + TURP+ OIU+ ureterorenoscopy
After that he was fine till 2010 and then started having Urinary Infections frequently. And we took him to our local hospital in BHEL Haridwar and they treated him with some Antibiotics injections.
Now a days he is having Urinary Infection very frequently with severe irritation while Urination and severe in lower abdomen (LHS). Also smell in urine.
Urine culture report came as normal except increased PUS Cells.
We need to know what could be the reason of this problem again even though he was already operated in 2007 for prostrate gland.
And what course of action you would suggest for him.Also, I have uploaded following reports for your reference:
A. Discharge Summary of Hospital (Nov 2007 )
B. Latest Ultra Sound Report.

Note: You might have to zoom a bot to view them
Thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts and reports that you have posted it appears that your father who has undergone endoscopic surgery for Stricture Urethra and enlarged prostate in 2007 now has difficulty in passing urine and frequent episodes of UTI.

In view of the previous surgery his present problem is most likely to be either due to recurrence of Stricture Urethra or Post TURP Bladder Neck Stenosis.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and following investigations
1) Retrograde Cystourethrogram (RGU)to rule out stricture urethra or Bladder Neck Stenosis.

He may need to undergo endoscopic surgery either of Optical XXXXXXX Urethrotomy or Bladder Neck Incision.depending upon the results of test.

In the mean while Please give him broad spectrum antibiotics along with anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor