Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Having severe prickly feeling in lungs with pressure in chest. Need antibiotic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
My fiance is having severe needly/pricky feeling in her lungs. Heart checked out OK-she has some small bone spurs on the spine C5-6 and has a bulging disc. Could this all be related to spine? She constantly complains about pressure in chest and pressure in head. She's at her wits end! Thank you! She also went to ER and they Xrayed her lungs and she was given a diagnosis of pleurisy. She was given a prescription for 7 days of prednisone but not really sure if that will really help her. Should she really be on an anti-biotic?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 16 minutes later
Hi and thanks for using healthcare magic,
Its really very exceptional that her lung symptoms will be due to her spinal products.
Its good she did a chest X XXXXXXX which showed a pleurisy. Diagnosis of a pleurisy entails a lot of parameters.
A pleurisy on its own can cause chest or side chest pain and cough. A pleurisy or a pleural effusion means there is a collection of fluid in the pleural cavity. Knowing the cause deserves a careful clinical examination and laboratory and morphological exams. The cause can be infectious, inflammatory most probably in this case. Its appropriate for you to do a sputum examination to exclude pulmonary tuberculosis. A pleural tap to examine this fluid in the laboratory is a key aspect in the evaluation of this patient. Autoimmune diseases and HIV screening could be worthwhile to be screened in this situation.
Headache can be primary (migraine, tension headaches or cluster headaches) or secondary. Making a clear diagnosis shall consider the duration, evolution, associated symptoms, alleviating or aggravating factors, the location, the timing, whether its associated to fever or not or whether there is notion of weight loss or not.
Your fiance deserves a careful physical examination and other examinations by an internist. I suggest you book for a consultation to be seen by an internist.
Hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor