Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Having severe phlegm. Quit smoking long back, had chest infection. Online doctor can help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
Hi Dr,

I'm 29 and I moved to the tropics from the mid latitudes in August 2012. I had previously enjoyed good health and quit casual smoking in dec 2011. Following my move to the tropics I did a full medical as part of men's health week. I was given a nasal spray for post nasal drip, which I stopped using after a week or two as hot showers and more exercise seemed to be working.

I caught a chest infection in December 2012 with family and friends was given ABs and improved. I did have a small volume of blood which stopped within the course of ABs and has not since reappeared. I had a chest X-ray done in December by one doctor, and sort a second opinion this 2weeks ago and another X-ray per the doctor. There was nothing found :) in either which is good and frustrating.

My complaint is that I since turning to fitness (i believe) I have increased mucus, after exercise (for me 5km in 22-25 mins daily), when i wake and when i take a real XXXXXXX inhale lying on my back for sometime i can feel it in my wind pipe (I think). I did initially cough after exercise, but now I don't have an urge to cough involuntarily at all. The other information is that every now and then (less than weekly) there's a tiny bit of XXXXXXX phlegm, but for the most part 95% it's id clear and varies between thin (most times) and thick (after a run).

Please help me I'm frustrated as you can imagine.

Many thanks

Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 30 minutes later

Welcome to H.C.M.

I have gone through your present complaints about the weird feeling in chest, as sensation of air passes in after exercise and increased mucus. I have also considered your past history of smoking and your medical history about bronchial asthma. With all these said, the symptoms are suggestive of bronchitis.

For the exact cause to be known, you will have to do the following tests.
(1) X-Ray chest. (Since you have done recently, it might not be required)
(2) C/S of throat swab.
(3) Respiratory function tests.

By doing this, one can reach to final diagnosis. If anything is found wrong in the investigations, a thorough examination by a pulmonologist may be required.

Meanwhile, you can do the following.
1. Avoid drinking cold water. Have only warm to hot water.
2. Maintain your rooms warm.
3. Avoid having refrigerated food.
4. In the tropics, it is common to have dusty winds. So, whenever outside your home, please cover your nose and mouth with a kerchief.

Hope your query is explained. Let me know if you require any further clarifications.

With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having severe phlegm. Quit smoking long back, had chest infection. Online doctor can help? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr Seivastava for the swift response. My partner requested that I should probably clarify that I have not had this before the chest infection in December and I don't have a cough. I will look into doing the tests you recommended.

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

Welcome again in H.C.M.

In reference to your query weather chest was infected before dec 2012 or not, my answer is PROBABLY NOT.

This clarification is based on the facts-
(1) At December 2012 you were asymptomatic.
(2) X-Ray chest in December 2012 was clear.

On the basis of above two facts I suppose you developed this after December 2012.

With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor