Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Having severe pain in hip joints and lower back. Blood test showed anemic. What could be wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 52 Questions
hello. please can you help me, my husband has not been well for some time, he has always been very active and cant ever remember him having to see a doctor,,,, but the last few months he has benn complaining of terrible pain in his hp joints and lower back,, doctos have done blood test and they came back that he is aneamic, but not iron deficient, he has also been told he has a very large prostate, again psa came back as nothing to high,, please can you help as to what could be wrong and what we should do next,, many thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ,,
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The symptoms your husband is having are a little disconcerting and require a detailed evaluation by a physician or an orthopaedician. I would suggest the following tests

1) Calcium, phosphorus, alkaline phosphatase, albumin- in the blood

2) A detailed typing of anaemia- you could scan and send me the reports of blood work. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

3) A serum electrophoresis - to look for multiple myeloma

An enlarged prostate is fairly common at his age but it does not account for the bone pains he has been having.

Please do write back to me with the reports.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor