Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Having severe pain in groin area and bruise appeared. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 325 Questions
Hi, I'm having issues with what appears to be a groin tear accompanied by extreme pain (especially on palpation that is intolerable the closer it gets to the pubic bone), popping of the groin and possibly hamstrings, and severe pain in my hips. My hips hurt just lying on my side. These injuries seemed to occur during karate and I've also been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've been trying to heal from these injuries since before April with no luck. My groin popped (which happens constantly) today just speed walking and now has a bruise. Suggestions?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, a groin pull or tear is an injury to the muscles of the inner thigh. The groin muscles, called the "adductor muscle" group, consists of six muscles that span the distance from the inner pelvis to the inner part of the femur (thigh bone). These muscles pull the legs together, and also help with other movements of the hip joint. Groin tears are usually graded, as per your concern it seems grade II with moderate discomfort, causing limited ability to perform activities and have moderate swelling and bruising associated. Resting is the key to successful treatment. As a general rule of thumb, if you have a groin tear, you can do activities that don't aggravate your injury. A tear in the muscle usually occurs when sprinting, changing direction or in rapid movements of the leg against resistance such as karate kick (as for you). This is especially likely if a thorough warm-up has not been undertaken first! Repetitive overuse of the groin muscles may result in adductor tendinopathy. Apply R.I.C.E.therapy (i.e Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) immediately, use crutches if needed. Will recommend you to kindly see a sports injury professional who can advise on rehabilitation of the injury with exercises and stretches which can help control the movements of the hip and pelvis, and hopefully prevent many groin bruises. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having severe pain in groin area and bruise appeared. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Any suggestion? 14 hours later
How often would you recommend using the R.I.C.E. therapy? Will using crutches help to rest the groin? The issue is on both sides as well so would crutches even help at that point? Also it bruises if I try to massage it as well (to try to workout knots) and especially near the pubic bone with hardly any pressure. What does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 5 hours later
Thanks for your kind response, I would recommend you use the RICE therapy as much as possible as it will assist in faster remission. Yes, crutches will help even if its on both sides. With regards to massaging maybe initially you could visit a sports injury professional who could advise the rehabilitation exercise and stretches to prevent further bruising. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor