Having severe pain in chest, neck, eyebrow and forehead. How to get relief?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife is having huge pain in between here eye brows and forehead. This pain is very severe. She also has pain on her upper back chest and neck which has subdued little bit in the last 2-3 days. She had this kind of pain 4 years ago and since then she never had it. I'd like to know the reasons behind this and also the actions that we need to take.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query regarding your wife's illness.

The commonest cause of this kind of pain at her age is migraine. In this condition, the headache can be very severe, and may be accompanied with nausea or vomiting. Headache may get aggravated with exposure to light or loud noise.

At the same time, we need to exclude any XXXXXXX problems in the brain. These include aneurysms (abnormal dilatation of a part of blood vessel in the brain), infections, blood clot in the brain veins, etc. Fortunately, these conditions are uncommon.

As of now, she can use analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for pain relief. If pain settles, that is good. If headache persists or recurs, she may consult a neurologist and get a brain imaging done (CT or MRI scan).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad