Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having severe pain in back. X-ray showed clear. Took novaclox. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15168 Questions
severe pain in the back ...visited a Dr and took spinal issues in the X XXXXXXX ..unbearable pain..taking Novaclox antibiotic for last 5 days prescribed by a gynocologist for other condition...Need suggestions
did yogo for last 1 month or so and did a tough posture 5 days back (arching back)...genetal wart checked with a gynocologist last week...prescriped novoclox and planning to do papsmear test this week and suggested cervical cancer vaccine as well
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Severe back pain can be very debilitating. Though an xray is an extremely useful investigation in back pain it will not show up injured muscles, ligaments or a prolapsed disc, disease of the spinal cord which are all common causes of back pain.

Some of the causes of back pain include:(1) muscle injury as mentioned , this is usually treated with anti inflammatory medications and a muscle relaxants(2) prolapsed disc, the disc are present between the vertebra, in prolapsed disc the outer aspect of the disc tears and allows the inner aspect to push through.This may cause compression on the nerve.It is diagnosed by CT or MRI, treatment in mainly nonsurgical unless there is no improvement using non surgical methods. These include anti inflammatory medication and physiotherapy
(3)trauma to the back
(4) degeneration of the spine due to wear and tear
(5)narrowing of the spinal canal, this is called spinal stenosis
(6)multiple myeloma- this is a disease of the some of the white blood cells in your bone marrow, it is diagnosed by special blood tests

Your doctor may consider doing different imaging tests such as CT or MRI that would be able to show conditions that will not be present on x XXXXXXX In addition blood tests can be done for your blood count, ESR (this is an inflammatory non specific marker that can indicate if further tests need to be done), protein electrophoresis (this test looks for multiple myeloma).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having severe pain in back. X-ray showed clear. Took novaclox. Any suggestion? 49 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestions...have few more clarification.

Post X XXXXXXX yesterday..the medicines taken - "Neolax-MR", Muscle relaxant cream, "Ovaron injection" to reduce the pain..did not have any effect. the pain is still unbearable - 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. The pain is very localized in two areas in the back

Also read the fatal side effect "Neuromuscular hypersensitivity" for Novaclox drug. Can you explain what this is and if it is linked here?

The genetal wart/cervical issues be linked to this at all?
Please clarify

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later

In terms of the genital warts (caused by certain types of the HPV virus) and cervical changes or cancer (caused by other types of HPV)- they would not be associated with severe back pain unless the woman has cervical cancer that has spread to the bones in the back.This would be very unusual because cervical cancer is a slow growing cancer (takes 8 to 10 years to develop) and is usually detected in early stages.

Neuromuscular sensitivity refers to increased sensitivity of the muscles to stimulation which may result in some pain and altered sensation but usually not to the level that you are describing however if you have concerns regarding it, you may want to consider speaking to your doctor about the medication.

Since the pain is so bad and unresponsive to the medication that you have used so far, you may want to consider re visiting your doctor for a re evaulation.
Feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having severe pain in back. X-ray showed clear. Took novaclox. Any suggestion? 2 days later

We did an MRI on LS Spine...the impressions are:
- Diffuse annular bulge at L4-5 with extension towards bilateral neural foramina causing mild impingement on thecal sac and bilateral adjacent nerve roots (Left ->right)
- Mild subchondral marrow oedema in the inferior part of both S.I joint -? Mild joint pain

Dr has prescribed bad rest for 10 days with Physiotherapy ( IFT and Ultrasound) treatment along with pain killers, ice/heat pack. But the pain in very acute in the lower spine and the right buttock. Unable to spleep. Is this treatment the only way out or any other suggestions/medications...Did a blood calcium test last month and it is 9.2 within the reference range. How long it will take to recover and how bad the situation is this ?

Thanks in advance for your response
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 hours later

The diffuse bulge is what persons also call a prolapsed disc.According to the MRI the impingement is mild so there should be good recovery.

Normally the above treatment is the first line of treatment initiated.
Generally the non surgical treatment is divided into 3 phases: In phase one is mainly physical therapy during the acute healing phase which lasts up to 6 weeks, phase 2 , between week 6 to 12, consists of active exercise programs combined with the other physio to try and acheive pre injury level of functioning
Phase 3, this is used if the symptoms remain after the above, this consist of psychological interventions to help deal with chronic pain.
So in general with physiotherapy, pain medication and active exercise, most persons may see improvement in 3 mths or less. If it continues beyond this then you are said to have chronic pain.

There is a surgical option, but this is not usually first choice, but if you wish, you can consider speaking to your doctor if there is no improvement.

Feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon