Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having severe pain from buttock to calf muscles. Suggest the treatment to ease the pain?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Hi - I have pain - dull ache - running down both legs from buttock to calf muscles? Left leg is slightly worse . No injury has occurred. Has happened before but ache wasnt quite this bad ? Have had the pain for about 8 hours now .What could this be and is there anything I can do to ease the pain? Many thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most Possibly Neurogenic pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description of symtoms, I feel that the cause for pain in both of your legs is due to a compressed nerve (possibly L4 nerve) in the Lumbar spine by a protruded intervertebral disc.

An MRI scan of the Lumbosacral spine is necessary to establish the diagnosis of your condition.

The preliminary conserative management protocol is as follows -

* Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back and may worsen your pain in the legs
* Give rest to your back and avoid forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion
* Use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles
* Intermittent pelvic traction may be helpful to cause a regression of the disc
* Physiotherapy to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided. Chiropractic spinal manipulative techniques may be beneficial in alleviating your pain
* Analgesics like Advil or Tylenol will lessen the pain. Neurotropic pain medications like Pregabalin / Gabapentin / Amitryptiline will help in relieving leg pain.

If your symptoms are not improving with the above measures, approach an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor