Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having severe pain around ear. No relief from nerve and muscle relaxants. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
For the past few months i am having a severe pain around my RIGHT ear (not in the ear)area and this occurs only at night (after 9 pm) ,it occurs every night and some of the pain is felt throughout the day
The pain is mostly in the jaw area and i have already consulted my dentist and he says i have no problem with the tm joint
This pain was previously near the eye area but for the past few months it has shifted to the right ear area and is only severe at night ,it pains more if i touch it but even without touching it is severe and for the past few days it has become unbearable ,i have tried nerve and muscle relaxents but to no avail
The pain basically radiates from the jaw to the temple area only ON THE RIGHT SIDE
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 31 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I do understand your concern

I have noted your medical problem

I feel that the possibilities of this kind of pain could be 1. Atypical facial pain 2. Remote possibility of trigeminal neuralgia.

These issues can be resolved by evaluation with a local neurologist who will have the advantage of examining you and then he will decide the need of scan in your case. If the scan comes normal, you may benefit with medications like Carbazepine, Gabapentine etc.

I hope that I have clarified your query
Please get back to me in case you have any other concern in this issue
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor