Having severe back pain. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Question: Hi Doctor ,

I have severe back pain since last 3 days . The pain in originating from back side of the neck and coming to left solder the of back side . Some time I feel some thing is locked in my back side . I have applied some ointment and it is not better now . While sleeping I feel more trouble rather than day time .

Please give me your valuable advices .
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fermentation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles.
5. Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures.
6. Do use firm mattress, thin pillow or butterfly shaped pillow

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the cervical spine under his/her guidance to rule out arthritis or other changes in your spine.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.