Having severe abdominal pain and noticed swelling. Could it be inguinal hernia?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have the symptoms for an INGUINAL HERNIA precisely as this site describes. Pain is spasmodic BUT VERY SEVERE when it occurs. I only see swelling during attack. I am learning that sitting not standing will prevent an attack. The question is:
I have seen 5 doctors over the passed month...all say "not a hernia"
I had ultrasound scan last Wed, not yet with GP, but tech said "no Hernia" but small gallstones.
I have an Tomorrow.Can you give an opinion? SHOULD READ
I have an XRAY tomorrow
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you describe the exact position of the pain and swelling - because inguinal hernia occurs in inguinal region in the groin while gall stones are present in the region of the gall bladder that is in the upper right side of the abdomen. There shouldn't be any confusion between these two entities.

If your swelling is present in the inguinal region and increases on coughing and in standing position, it points towards inguinal hernia and not gall stones.

It will be advisable that you get yourself examined by a surgeon for differential diagnosis and further treatment as soon as possible.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 17 hours later
Thanks, the pain is definately in my lower groin area next to my right testicle.I do feel it more when I cough. I had one not too severe attack yesterday, none today, I am sitting mostr of the time however.
Had Xray this am. showed nothing ( unofficially )
I have requested referral to specialist today (11th )
XXXXXXX
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response.

The area of pain and increase in pain or swelling during coughing indicates towards inguinal hernia. X-Ray is usually not confirmatory. It is necessary to be examined physically to get to a conclusion about the diagnosis. Examination by a surgeon is more reliable. You should get yourself examined by a surgeon to rule out other causes of pain and swelling in the groin region.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further doubts please mention, I will be happy to answer your further queries.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan