Having sensitive rear left molar. Will my gums be infected by maggots?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hello I am a bit of an alarmist. Someone just showed me a "you tube" video of a man with non existent dental hygiene having teeth pulled revealing many, many maggots in his gums. I have 1 sensitive rear left molar. I would know if my gums were infested with maggots wouldn’t I? Also what is your recommendation regarding the sensitivity to cold for my left molar? The maggot video was the sickest thing I think I’ve ever seen. Thank you for forwarding this to a dentist.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Maggot infestation is less likely... Detailed Answer: Hello, I would like you to know that if your oral hygiene is proper you will never get a gum infection. I personally have never experienced a case with gum infestation . I would request you not to go by those videos alone. For a sensitive molar I believe it can be from a initial dental decay or from a periodontal problem around gums surrounding the molar. I will recommend you to see your dentist for a quick check , as clinical examination is important to rule out the cause. Your dentist might prescribe an x-ray for the tooth as well. Do not worry, professional cleaning followed by a filling of your tooth if needed will definitely resolve sensitive molar. I hope I answered your query, If you have any further questions, feel free to write back. I wish you good health, Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad