Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Having sensation of throbbing pulses on head. Over weight. Could it be stress related or stroke?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
Thank you for your time in advance. Sometimes I experience a sensation of throbbing pulses on the left side of my head. the pulsing appears to occur behind the left ear. It continues about a minute, disappears for about 4 or 5 minutes, then occurs again. it seems stress related; particularly it occurs if I haven't had a good night rest. I am a female aged 67 and married. My health has been good other than being overweight. Could it be stroke related I'd appreciate some feedback.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Throbbing pulsation at the temples/side of the forehead can be felt in all individuals.

If it is just a throbbing sensation you get when you touch the area, it is quite normal. However, if it is a unilateral throbbing headache, it could even be a migraine.

Stress can definitely trigger abnormal sensation.

Stroke is quite unlikely as there is no weakness of any one half of the body, slurring of speech , facial paralysis, visual disturbances.

However, in view of your age, 67 yr, I would definitely advise you to visit a physician and get certain basic investigations done like: lipid profile, Blood sugar levels, ECG etc, Blood Pressure recording.

I would advise you to sign up for yoga classes, if you have a good yoga instructor in your area. Yoga helps reduce stress . It is perfect for both mind and body health.

In addition, do try to reduce weight by regular exercise and avoiding fatty foods.
Eat healthy. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor