Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Having regular periods. Noticed white fluid coming out from breast. What can be the reason? Is this normal?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hello sir,
Details below mentioned are of my wife. For past one week she is facing some strange thing. we are married for last 5 months. Her period are regular. Last one was on 16th oct.
Last week, she found white fluid coming out of her brest. what can be reason for this? Is it normal?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

According to information, the condition is called galactorrhea (milky discharge from breast without pregnancy) in medical term. It occurs mostly due to elevation of prolactin hormone. It occurs in 5-30% women in reproductive age group.

Little amount milky discharge is less significant and quite physiological. If it occurs in large amount or on regular basis or spontaneously, then underlying pathological conditions are needed to investigate properly. 50% of the cases are without any pathology.

CAUSES: 1) Excessive nipple stimulation or breast massage during sexual excitement 2) Hormonal causes like hyperprolactinemia & hypothyroid state with elevated levels of TSH or TRH hormones 3) Certain medications (methyldopa, opiates, antipsychotics, serotonin reuptake inhibitors) 4) Pituitary adenomas (causing overproduction of prolactin) or compression of the pituitary stalk.

Most adenomas of the anterior pituitary are prolactinomas. Increased prolactin level may cause amenorrhea & infertility. It may be occurred by using birth control pills or cimetidine like H2 blocker.

In this circumstance, she needs to undergo some blood test for prolactin level, complete thyroid profile initially if she has irregular period or amenorrhea. In addition, one CT scan of brain and ultrasound scan of breast are advisable in case of abnormal report of above mentioned tests. Please, consult with her gynecologist regarding this for proper guidance. Proper treatment depends on etiology.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor