Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Having recurrent bartholin cysts. Need medication. Is intercourse possible after the cyst is drained?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
I have a recurrent bartholin cyst. I got it lanced last september in my honeymoon which was not fun and now is coming back again right before I see my husband. I need help! How I can rid of it and still have sex with my husband? I am leaving in 14 days to see him. Any antibiotics or homeopathic medicine that I use? I need help!... I've been having bartholin cysts in my left labia inner side of the vagina since 2004, but it didn't come back until last year september and now. I am frustaded about this because me and my husband are in the military stationed far away from each other and now that we ask for vacations, this cyst pops again! I need help! I will be flying out to see him in 14 days, so I need to know what can I do to get it out of there ASAP!.
Can I have sex with my husband if the cyst gets drained?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Bartholin's cysts are recurrent in nature. I am sorry that you have to face with it again. Let me suggest few measures that can be tried in the next 14 days before you see your husband.

If the cyst is non infected and small in size then usually no treatment is needed. It should subside on its own. Anti inflammatory drugs such as advil twice a day for 3-5 days and warm sitz bath can fasten the recovery.
If the cyst becomes painful or gets larger causing discomfort then the best treatment is surgical removal under local anaesthesia. It is a minor procedure and the stitches will heal in 14 days. A competent gynecologist would be able to do the procedure safely and effectively.

Though you could get them drained through your primary healthcare provider, there are possibilities that it can re accumulate and become infected; in which case it might cause more problems. Further medicines like antibiotics or homeopathic medicines can provide relief temporarily but cannot reduce the size of the cyst. So I would encourage you to consult your gynecologist for proper management.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor