Having rapid heart beats with sharp pain under breast. Suggested to get ECG and tachycardia. Serious problem?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My daughter is a 19 yr old female and for the last 3-5 weeks she has been getting rapid heart beats daily and also sharp pain under and around her left breast. The pain is worst when She laughs, coughs or sneezes. Her doctor has her getting an ECG for tachycardia. Is the pain related to this or from something else? Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Though you have provided some details but you have not mentioned the following:
1. Pulse rate.
2. Blood pressure.
3. It is not clear whether the ECG has been done or is scheduled. If it has been done than what is the result.

The pain under the left breast which increases when your daughter laughs, coughs or sneezes is unlikely to be cardiac in origin. The causes for the pain could be:
1. Muscular.
2. Rib cage.
3. Pleural.
It is most likely to be muscular in origin. You can apply warm fomentation till the examination by the doctor takes place.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

RKK