Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Having raised red bumps on back and side of ribcage. Looks like spider bites. How to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 77 Questions
I have two raised red bumps on my left back/side over my rib cage. they are about 1/2 inches apart. There are no other bumps like this on my body, just two. They look like a spider bite but seem too far apart to be that. There is a scab looking XXXXXXX in the middle of both bumps. There is a small red rash around them.
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

After seeing the image uploaded, it seems like you are probably suffering from furuncle i.e. Skin infection.

You should wash the area thoroughly with antiseptic soap twice a day at least. After washing get it dressed with Mupirocin ointment.

Also take oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin. For this you will need to get a prescription from physician.

At present the lesion doesn't look to be drained, however if it doesn't respond or increase in size, do consult a surgeon near you.

Hope this helps. Do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor