Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Having quadri-paresis with radial nerve palsy in upper limb. Is there any possibility of improvement?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 125 Questions
My mother is having quadri-paresis with radial nerve palsy in right upper limb. She is on ryles' tube feed. Does not respond to verbal commands and does not speak. However, she responds to stimulus of touch and opens her eyes. However, she does not recognize the persons or the objects around her (dis-oriented). She has developed contractures in both elbow joints and has wrist drop in right hand.

Her general condition is being monitored every day. Her BP is stable around 110/70 and saturation between 93 to 97. However, the pulse rate fluctuates and we have seen it going upto 150/min which comes down by administration of propranol (10-20 mg). Her general condition is not improving.

Please let us know if there is any possibility of improvement in her condition and what should be the possible next steps if any.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

I have gone through the details provided by you and your mother is suffering a lot. I am not able to pinpoint any specific cause other than a cerebral degeneration.

What she requires is a good nursing and ambulation. If possible, put her in a wheel chair and take her outside for fresh air and sunlight.

You must have taken help of physiotherapist and nutrition support.

I will suggest for a check up for blood ammonia level, electrolytes (sodium and potassium), Vitamin B12 levels, etc. During this you can have routine blood counts, urea, creatinine, sugar and liver function tests if not done in last three months. You can update me with MRI and EEG findings done earlier.

Thanks for the query.

Good wishes for you and your mother

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor