Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Having pulmonary oedema but hypostatic pneumonia is suspected. Can an X-ray give a reliable diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions
(1) If a patient has pulmonary oedema but hypostatic pneumonia is suspected then can an X-ray give a reliable diagnosis? (2) If so, how? Is there an additional standard diagnostic test that can be used in these circumstances? (3) Finally, is there any way of telling whether a patient has hypostatic pneumonia or sepsis in these circumstance if two blood cultures are taken together and both are negative?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Clinical corelation and other tests may help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX On x XXXXXXX chest, it may not be always possible to differentiate Pul oedema from hypostatic pneumonia. However there are some signs which may point towards one diagnosis or the other. These are as follows: In pul oedema, there may be associated cardiomegaly with evidence of various chamber enlargement, kerley B lines and pleural effusion. There may be perihilar cuffing. In hypostatic pneumonia, there are fluffy, irregular, patchy opacities scattered all over, more peripherally. CT chest shows opacities to be more in the dependent areas. Clinical co relation along with other tests like echo and ct chest help in establishing diagnosis. Hypostatic pneumonia may occur by itself in a debilitated patient mostly confined to the bed or may be a part of sepsis which is common in such patients. Blood culture and sputum culture may yield results but are generally negative as by the time these tests are ordered patient has already been on antibiotics.However as mentioned above other tests and clinical correlation may help in diagnosis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor