Having psychological problems. Taking therapy. Any advice?
Thanks for your query.
I would like to know some more details on your condition to understand better and advice you well.
1.What therapy are you currently receiving ?Is it from a Psychiatrist ?
2.Since when do you have above thought disturbances ?
3.Have you been through any stressful periods anytime recent or in past ?
4.Are you on any medications other than for the thyroid condition ?
Since Hypothyroidism sometimes also presents with psychological problems, I would like to know some details on it.
1.When were you diagnosed to be hypothyroid ?
2.What were the symptoms you had which compelled the doctor to consider the possibility of Thyroid hormone disturbances ?
3.Since when are you on the supplement thyroid hormone Levothyroxine and what is the current dosage ?
Waiting for your response,
1. 4th year PH.D student (no insurance,can't afford psychiatrist)
2. it feels random at times,but when something goes against me, i.e health
3. I was told I have chlaymidia(a month ago) after 2.5 years of no sexual activity. Generally, I am not a sexual active person. I feel sex is overrated in terms of pursuing it casually. If it wasn't chlaymidia it could be a bad knee or somethingelse.
1. January 2011. I have had psychological issues in some form most of my life.
2. Routine blood work. My levels were a little low, I had my thyroid scanned and they found it to be a little enlarged with good blood flow,no nodules.
3. 37.5 micro grams.
Thanks for writing back.
Hypothyroidism is known to cause psychological symptoms in many and such symptoms persist a long time even after the treatment is installed.
Symptoms like progressive loss of interest and initiative, slowing of mental processes, memory disturbances specially of recent events, personality's disturbance, general intellectual deterioration, depression etc are seen in patients with under-active thyroid.
The thought disturbances you have are typically seen in Hypothyroidism and disappear few months after the thyroid levels come to normal levels with administration of thyroid supplements.I suggest you to get the Thyroid hormones levels checked regularly and revise the dosage of the medications accordingly.
Need not worry, I do not suspect any serious psychological illness in you.As I mentioned, treating the thyroid condition will treat the thought disturbance you have.
If the symptoms get progressive and do not respond to the thyroid treatment, you may have to then consult a Psychologist who can counsel you and rule out organic or psychological illnesses which can cause such symptoms.
Hope I answered your query.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nightfall problem psychological problem
- Klippel trenaunay psychological problems
- Types of psychology therapy
- Having psychological problems taking therapy any advice
- Wheezing due to psychological problems
- Shoulder pain taking medication done magnetic therapy advice
- Psychological causes for sinus problems
- Psychological problems of old age
- Nuvaring psychology problems
- Psychological therapy in primary care
- Suffer from hypertension and weakness. Does meth use cause thyroid problem?
- What is the effect of steroids on the heart during puberty in boys?
- Having psychological problems. Taking therapy. Any advice?
- Body feels shaky. What is the cause and how to control this?
- Experiencing a periodic mild numbness in arm. Family history of MS. Any...
- Medicine for G6PD patient with fever?
- Having pain and pressure in eye with headache. Sinus MRI normal. What...
- Snorted meth. Having sore throat and cough. Is there any complication?
- Have small penis. Will penomet penis enlargement pump work to enlarge it?
- Found high BP readings on home monitors. Any thoughts?