Having prostatitis after unprotected sex. Feeling dull ache after ejaculation. Urine test was negative. Should I be concerned?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Hello! I recently had unprotected sex with a new female partner (10/7) and am now experiencing (and being treated for prostatitis. (levoflaxin- 500 mg x 10 days) The symptoms came about five days after the intercourse: excessive and frequent urination, dribbling, feeling like I could not empty the bladder, pain in the tip of the penis afterwards and some dull ache after ejaculation. I went to urgent care and was thoroughly examined by a doctor via a digital prostate exam. She detected some asymmetry and areas of firmness and told me to go see a urologist. My PSA score is 1.16 (it did increase from 0.60 a year ago) and my doctor did a digital exam in July and said there was no enlargement. I took the urine tests for STIs and all came back negative.

My questions:

1. Could a bacteria from my partner be causing this prostattis even through the STI urine tests all came back negative? If so will the prostattis probably go away after the course of medication?

2. Should I be concerned about having prostate cancer due to the firmness in areas and asymmetry?
3. Is the increase in PSA score over a year a cause for concern even though 1.16 is still low for age 52?
4. Could the prostattis be causing a temporary firmness that will subside after the inflammation is gone?
5. would massaging my prostate help speed recovery?

Help- I am a worrier!!!

Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes It could be transmitted through intercourse.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have increased frequency of urination ,dribbling micturition,painful ejaculation following sex with your new partner.

All these symptoms are due to Prostatitis .

I would answer your questions point to point

1)The infection is transmitted to you through sexual intercourse with your partner who is likely to have vaginal infection.

2)The firmness of Prostate that Dr noticed on digital rectal examination can be due to Prostatitis.

3)PSA of value of 1.6 is normal slight variation is likely to be due to infection.There is no possibility of cancer of the prostate.

4) Firmness of the prostate will get subsided after taking antibiotics for 3-4 weeks.

5)Yes prostatic massage will help to get is cured earlier.

Please get your partner examined by qualified Gynaecologist for any vaginal infection and ask her to take appropriate treatment .

Avoid sexual intercourse till you get cured completely.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 46 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

If all my STI tests are clear could I still get bacteria from a vaginal infection that would not show up on the tests for clymadia, gonorrhea? I also bicycle a lot. Could that contribute to prostatis? My partner said she was urinating frequently. I will definitely abstain for a while and then use a condom next time. Thx for the fast response!!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bicycle riding can cause Prostattis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Long frequent bicycle riding can cause prostatitis due to long standing pressure and friction over perineum.

Gonorrhoea and chlamydia are specific sexually transmitted diseases that cause inflammation of urethra resulting into pus or greenish discharge hence can be detected easily on routine tests.

Where as in prostatitis infection of prostate gets infected which remains localised deep into prostatic tissue and hence can not be detected on routine tests.

Since your partner also has increased frequency of urination she should take antibiotics to combat infection so that it is transmitted to you again in future.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.