Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having problem with joint in left hip. Extremely painful and doing aerobic exercise. Suggest the cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I have a problem with only one joint in my body - my left hip. It isn't extremely painful, and only hurts when I stretch the hip. For example, it is painful in exercise when I bend over to touch my toes. But in normal activity, such as walking, it doesn't bother me. I go to the gym three days a week for a total of 100 minutes of aerobic exercise, non-impact, on an elliptical machine. I also exercise at home, strength and yoga, three days a week, different days from when I go to the gym.

I'm 75 years old, and do not take any medication, but take lots of supplements. Other than this relatively minor problem, my health is good as far as I know. I visit the VA clinic once a year for lab work, cholesterol check, etc., but other than that I haven't had an occasion to go to a doctor for many years.

I assume this it is some form of arthritis, in that I haven't injured the hip - no falls, etc. I do not want to go to a doctor and get on a medication regimen. I have an aversion to medication except in an extreme emergency. But I would appreciate some ideas on what, if anything, can be done to alleviate the soreness in my hip - exercises, food choices, etc.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Degenarative Arthritis and AVN is suspected

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
As per your history there can be hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head [AVN].
I will advise you do X ray of hip and you can consult me with reports or with your doctor.

After clinical examination IF AVN is suspected then you will need MRI.
Till time take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like glucosamine sulphate.
For hip arthritis joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help.
Physiotherapist will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol.
If required intra-articular injection can be given.

Diet XXXXXXX in calcium and protein will help

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor