Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Having problem of food poisoning. Vomited after eating. Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2569 Questions
Hi doctor, I have been having a problem of food poisoning .. can you please suggest me something to ease the problem. I have vomited last night 2-3 times. It started after I ate a fish curry at home.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I recommend wait and observe policy...

Detailed Answer:

Vomiting due to food poisoning unlikely other symptom is beneficial to the body. Toxins from the infected food are cleared by nature through vomiting - this helps in faster recovery. Therefore, I recommend no treatment in such cases. In fact starting medicines to stop vomiting causes the toxins to stay within and cause more damage to health.

To help you understand this better, I would like to share with you a recent event that occurred in the State of Bihar where a doctor administered medicines to school children misdiagnosed (when they in fact had food poisoning). This resulted in death in many children.

In brief, do not use medicines to stop vomiting. Symptoms will resolve spontaneously in few hours - persistent vomiting + fever and abdominal cramps are ominous signs. Keep drinking fluids to maintain hydration. If you feel very week and exhausted, I would urge you to visit a nearby hospital for Intravenous fluid therapy.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor