Having pressure, discomfort and pain in lower pelvic area. Is it a sign of diverticulitis?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Diverticulitis???I am 34, weigh 180 lbs., and I am 5 10 talk
I was having pressure, discomfort, pain in my lower pelvic area. Sometimes it would disappear or move up a little....
I would even feel pain in my right iliac crest area....
Then I went to the doctor and a test in my urine which was perfect. however when they checked my white blood cell count it was very high. What are the possibilities of what could this be? I am so scared....
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Diverticulitis gives lower left abdominal pain sometimes with nausea and fever. It is strongly associated with severe constipations. So if you do have had constipations for years, it is possible.
If your pain is in the lower right side, and lasts for a couple of days, it can be appendicitis. Moreover, such symptoms can be caused by ovarian infection, uterus infection.
Very high WBC means that somewhere in the body there is an infection. When abdominal pain also appears, it should not be neglected as this can be urgent.
It is strongly advisable for you to have abdominal ultrasound performed as soon as possible. Some doctors are able to see diverticles in the ultrasound. Appendix can be also visible.
If it is diverticulitis, you should have antibiotics therapy with some soft diet for few days. Colonoscopy should be performed but only after acute inflammation healing (when diverticulitis is present, colonoscopy may result with perforation).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Can you be walking around with an infected enlarged appendix with minimal pain/discomfort? It's been two.weeks now and I have been on the diverticulitis normal antibiotic and antifungal. Still feel the pressure in my lower right front pelvis right next to my penis.... When I sit it becomes much worse and the pain runs down my leg as well as my foot gets numb. Should I go the ER
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms for sure are not caused by diverticulitits. Appendicitis is also unlikely.
Such symptoms radiating to the leg and foot can be caused by nerves compression due to spinal disc herniation or muscles compression (phiriformis syndorme).
It is also possible that your symptoms are caused by inguinal hernia. Usually the pain appears after lifting heavy object, do aggravate when coughing. You may perform simple test. Put your hand on the place where the pain is strongest, and try to cough while standing. If it is hernia, you should feel bumping lump while coughing.
To have it confirmed, soft tissues ultrasound of this area should be performed. To diagnose spinal diseases, MRI should be performed.

Regards.