Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pointed lump on cheek side of gum. X-ray showed no problem. Feels rough and have dull ache. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1011 Questions
I have a pointed lump ( protrudes in a cone shape ) on the cheek side of my upper gum to the side of molar. The point of the lump pushes out from the gum towards the cheek. they did an xray XR OPG and showed no problems to be noted. Now the point has broken through the gum and i am getting concerned. The point feels rough and very hard like bone and now the area has a dull ache. What could this be and what should i do?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later

The pointed lump could be an abscess. Usually arising from an infected teeth or periodontal (gum) problems.

I saw your attached reports, there is no radio graphic evidence of any bony outgrowth or Exostosis. Therefore, it clearly signifies towards a soft tissue lesion probably an abscess due to periodontal pocket (gum pocket). In rare cases you can suspect malignancy of alveolar bone too. But first I would like to know about your periodontist (dentist dealing with gum tissues exclusively) opinion.

This requires thorough clinical examination and surgical probing. Every single tooth should be examined by probing and checking for existing pockets.

Also, please remember gum pockets caused due to loss of attachment apparatus is a common finding in diabetic conditions. You might require deep pocket curettage and through root planing along with antibiotics and analgesics.

Therefore in my view please XXXXXXX your periodontist (dentist dealing with gum tissues exclusively) as soon as possible.

Meanwhile you can do warm saline rinses.

For further query please let me know.


Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor