Owl Image

Having pimple and acne problem.What should I do to get rid of it?

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am having severe pimple and acne problem.Have tried a lot of cream containing benzoyl peroxide and consumed tablets..still its not reducing.Can u please suggest what can i do?
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Acne occurs as a result of different processes.It is related to excess sebum production (sebum is an oily waxy substance made by glands in the skin), excess production of certain cells that block the hair follicles,the presence of a certain bacteria and inflammation of the skin.

Acne treatments are used for each of these processes, sometimes greater effect is obtained if more than one aspect of acne is treated.
Treatment can involve topical creams or ointments or oral medication. You stated that you have used benzoly peroxide and oral medication.

Other topical treatments would be :(1) topical retinoids such as tretinoin or adapalene , they would reduce the number of bumps and reduce inflammation.They are used once a day
(2) topical antibiotics would treat the bacteria that is involved in acne and reduces inflammation, the most common one is clindamycin, it can be used once or twice a day.They are often combined with benzoly peroxide

In terms of tablets (1) antibiotics are effective against the bacteria
(2) oral contraceptives, unless you are trying to conceive would also help acne
(3)oral retinoinds- these are used for severe acne that is not responding to any other medication.

You may want to consider using the topical antibiotics either on their own, or for increased effectiveness, in combination with the benzoly peroxide.
The oral contraceptives if not trying to conceive.
If ineffective then the oral antibiotics and the topical retinoids can be used.
These are prescribed by a doctor.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any additional questions