Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having pimple and acne problem.What should I do to get rid of it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14912 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I am having severe pimple and acne problem.Have tried a lot of cream containing benzoyl peroxide and consumed tablets..still its not reducing.Can u please suggest what can i do?
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Acne occurs as a result of different processes.It is related to excess sebum production (sebum is an oily waxy substance made by glands in the skin), excess production of certain cells that block the hair follicles,the presence of a certain bacteria and inflammation of the skin.

Acne treatments are used for each of these processes, sometimes greater effect is obtained if more than one aspect of acne is treated.
Treatment can involve topical creams or ointments or oral medication. You stated that you have used benzoly peroxide and oral medication.

Other topical treatments would be :(1) topical retinoids such as tretinoin or adapalene , they would reduce the number of bumps and reduce inflammation.They are used once a day
(2) topical antibiotics would treat the bacteria that is involved in acne and reduces inflammation, the most common one is clindamycin, it can be used once or twice a day.They are often combined with benzoly peroxide

In terms of tablets (1) antibiotics are effective against the bacteria
(2) oral contraceptives, unless you are trying to conceive would also help acne
(3)oral retinoinds- these are used for severe acne that is not responding to any other medication.

You may want to consider using the topical antibiotics either on their own, or for increased effectiveness, in combination with the benzoly peroxide.
The oral contraceptives if not trying to conceive.
If ineffective then the oral antibiotics and the topical retinoids can be used.
These are prescribed by a doctor.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor