Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Having periods for every two weeks and having cramps. Suffered from Epstein Barr virus for enlarged spleen. Is it related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 2977 Questions
My daughter started menstuating at 14 yrs old. Monthly & normal until Dec 2012. Now has it @ every 12-14 days & very heavy w cramps. Was hospitalized for EBV in Dec 2012 for enlarged spleen, pain control, viral hepatitis or jaundice( high liver counts / billirubin. Could this be related and is it normal. She is very athletic. Runs 5 miles a day. Plays ice hockey 4 x week. Very healthy 5'6 131lbs. Albuterol inhaler sports induced asthma & no other medical history
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your daughter seem to be alright.....

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

I am not very concerned with your daughter's menstrual cycle as I expect it to become normal in a few months. There are many reasons for her irregular menstruation at this age; I would like to share a few of those with you now.
1) Initial 2-3 years of puberty the menstrual cycle is mostly irregular in many young girls. It is quite normal.
2) Jaundice may also affect cycle because of high carbohydrate diet and change in coagulation factors.
3) As she is very athletic, strenuous exercise can affect menstrual cycle.

Body has its own mechanism to take care of these factors; so you do need not be very concerned. I would definitely suggest that she takes iron pills if she is not allergic to it to prevent bleeding induced anemia. Give her high fibre diet, green leafy vegetables, avoid oily foods and strenuous exercise.

Wait for the next 6-12 months before considering consult a gynaecologist and further investigating.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Good luck.

Dr. Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor