Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Having pains in neck and chest with deep breathe. Have put ice and heat but doesn't work. Suggest?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I am a 20 yr old female and I have been having shooting pains in my neck when I take deep breaths. Its been going on every once in awhile for the past month, and in the middle of my chest hurts too when I lay down and wake up in the morning. Its more of an uncomfortable feeling and its right in between my breast and above. It feels kinda like a pulled a muscle and that I need to ice/heat it and I have tried everything but nothing works. I dont want to go to the doctor because I am a hypochondriac and just assume its bad news and Im going to die. has anyone experienced any of these symptoms??
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

First of all, I will like to start by saying that you are not going to die.
Then about your symptoms, it seems to me that you are suffering from a retrosternal pain, which could either be of gut or heart origin.
If gut origin, then you might be experiencing an oesophagitis or gastritis which will require that you take appropriate treatment. But first, you will need to see a doctor to look down your throat to your stomach by doing physical exams, running some laboratory tests and imagery study (such as an endoscopy).
If the origin is the heart, then the most likely cause is a coronary artery diseases (notably angina pectoris). Both conditions (if any available) is usually mild, but if you neglect early treatment, that is when it might get complicated (i.e in the long run). Other possible (but unlikely) causes of your symptoms is anxiety which is a common symptom that is associated to being hypochondriac.
My suggestion, is that you can over come your hypochondriac nature and visit a doctor ( it is for your own good).

Hope this helps and wish you nothing but the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pains in neck and chest with deep breathe. Have put ice and heat but doesn't work. Suggest? 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back with me. I ended up going to the hospital because my pain was progressing and it was hard for me to lay down. The doctor ran a bunch of tests(EKG, ran blood work, urine sample and X-ray's) He said everything looked great and thought maybe the problem was acid reflex and that my esophagus was in flamed and he said that causes pain to the chest. So I am going to try over the counter medicine and see if that will help.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for getting back,

It means your doctor just confirmed my suspicions. Inflammed oesophagus is medically termed oesophagitis and acid reflux could be gastritis or GERD.
The medications that could help relief you that I usually prescribe and that you can find OTC are omeprazole, cimetidine, antacids etc. You might require an antibiotics such as ciprofloxacine or combination of amoxicilline and metronidazole/clarithromycine.

Hope you feel better after your treatment.

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor