Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Having painful purplish lump on buttock cheek. Looks like bruise. Any solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
I have a medium sized, oval-shaped, painful purplish lump on the inside of my left buttock cheek, fairly high up but not all the way to the tailbone. The surrounding skin is red. I am female, over 50. Have had two pararectal abcesses previously that required lancing and a couple of stiches. They were lower, however. This is a seemingly hairless area and almost looks like a bruise but has some lumpishness to its feel.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on the information provided by you, it may be a boil which is a localized infection in the skin that begins as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm, hard, and more tender. Eventually, the center of the boil softens and becomes filled with infection-fighting white blood cells from the bloodstream to eradicate the infection.
Home remedy for most boils is heat application, usually with hot soaks or hot packs. Antibiotics are often used to eliminate any accompanying bacterial infection, especially if there is an infection of the surrounding skin.
I advice you to see physician as for exact diagnosis it need to be examined and even the abscess has to be excluded.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor