Having painful knee after a fall. What should I do?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: My son fell on his knee this afternoon and is limping because he can't take the weight on his hurt knee. He says it's painful to bend.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recommend you to visit the ER.... Detailed Answer: Hi, In this context, it is essential that we rule out fractures. I would order X-rays of the limb in the first place to rule out fractures. You can ice the affected area. Discourage him to walk, move his knee or bear weight on the affected limbs. Antiinflammatory pain killers that are available over the counter such as ibuprofen can be helpful. As you do these at home, please consider visiting the ER. I wish him a speedy recovery. Regards