Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

137 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having pain under ribs. CT scan showed collapsed gallbladder. What are the treatment available?

Answered by
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 1658 Questions

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i have been having alot of pain on my right side just under my ribs extending to my back, had a ct scan 2days ago and it showed my gallbladder was collapsed, no stones, also lots of fatty tissue around liver, as well as a touch of arthurits, my family Dr has never had a case of collapsed gallbladder or arthritis in the stomach. I have been in and out of ER room since September of 2012 with this pain, and getting worse, I have been, at times, passing bile & throwing up bile. What is a collpased gallbladder and its treatment?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Collapsed or contracted gall bladder is not s disease; its just a radiological finding in ultrasound imaging.
The gall bladder is a hollow structure that hold bile until it is needed to help digest fat. When the stomach senses that a fatty meal has been consumed it send a signal to the gall bladder to contract and expel its bile. The gall bladder being collapsed just means that it is contracted down.
Arthritis is a disease involving joints not the stomach.

Let me know the associated features along with right upper quadrant pain.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness/ excessive flatulence?
Is there any aggravating or relieving factor for abdominal pain?
Are you getting fever right now(may be a feature of diverticulitis)?
Are you an alcoholic or a smoker?

With the available described symptomatology, there may be possibilities of pancreatitis or partially treated persistent gastroenteritis.
Presence of loose stools . blood and gastric problems (as mentioned by you) suggest the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram, liver function test (fatty liver in CT scan), serum lipase and amylase, stool examination.
You should take complete antibiotic course, probiotics, antispasmodics.
You should take soft bland diet with avoidance of oily and spicy food, citrus fruits, tomatoes and tea & coffee.
If your condition won't improve after taing antispasmodics then only you should take tramadol on written prescription from your treating doctor.

If all these investigations are found to be normal then there may be possibility of IBS (as already mentioned by you).
Then you should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and psychiatrist simultaneously.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Fatty liver

doctor1 MD

I have been told by my doctor through bloodtest and ultra sound i have fatty liver but have had loose stool and occasional diarehia for past few months could they be related? stomach discomfort not really pain. How do i get my liver working properly agin? Ive gained weight and cant lose at all

doctor1 MD

Dr, I have some kind of a burning sensation in my stomach and suffer from gas problem.I also have radiating spasm pain. I saw a doctor and was asked to have an ultra sound scan.I did it and dr says except fatty liver i am ok .when this irretation continues I am very much concerned about any kind of serious problem in my stomach. Pls advise.

doctor1 MD

I am a 70 year old female. I have had IBS most of my life, but one year ago I began to be severely constipated and only having a bowel movement every seven days and only then because I have had to resort to using a laxative. I did add more fibre to my diet and am trying to drink more water. The only blood I have noticed seems to be on the outside of the stool, therefore, I think it s only because of the colon lining being irritated. I have abdominal pain everyday, which is sometimes generalized, but most recently the pain in my left lower quadrant has become quite intense. In the past month I started taking ClearLax , which is similar to Restoralax and have increased fibre and drinking more prune juice, hence, bowel movements are more frequent and softer. Having said that the pain still persists. I also experience what would seem like liver pain which seems to be in the entire liver area and is quite intense sometimes. An xray last year showed a fatty liver. I was referred to a general surgeon in Dec. 2013, and he did not examine me at the time, but booked me for a colonoscopy which I can t get an appt. for until June. He also has booked me for an MRI, but the wait time for that is extremely long, could be a year, if I m lucky. As another opinion, do you feel that this could possibly be something serious.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I did a liver function test and found out that the values for SGOT/AST=126 on a scale of up to 40U/L.37c, SGPT/GPT=143 and GGT =129 I had a negative hepatitis B and C result respectively and was placed on livolin for 60 days.
Can You please advice me when to go for another Liver function test to see if there is any improvement.
I stopped drinking for about six years ago .
I equally did a scan and was told by the doctor its a fatty liver condition.

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific diet to control the problem areas and medications if any?

doctor1 MD

I did ultrasound , doctor found few cholesterol polyps in gallbladder and fatty acids in liver . So as per him it is not dangerous. Only thing I need to change my life style and maintain a proper diet. I want to check know more about my condition....

doctor1 MD

You can refer the above case of mine as i had already talk with you. Now i want to share some information. I had been getting pains under right side under ribs and upper abdomen. 1 month back - I had throat pain, body pain and mild fever so i had...