Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Having pain under breast after falling on back. What is the remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6181 Questions
I am 62 annd fell on my back and hit my head on ice 2 days ago went by ambulance to er. They were very concerned with head and neck injuries so I was given cat scan and was told spine ok and no bleeding in brain. I called hospital today because I am having pain under right breast through to back. I wanted to know if the cat would have shown beyond neck and head they said no. Would you think this might be my ribs?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly, yes Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the fall you suffered and the current chest pain. Considering the fall and chest pain, it could be that you injured a structure in the chest. However, I cannot for sure say whether it is the rib or not be it is certainly a structure there which is responsible for the pain. We have the skin, muscles and bones(ribs) at this point. Trauma to either structure could be responsible for the pain. A good clinical exam would be able to make the difference between a fractured rib and pain origination fro the soft tissues. A follow up xray may be required if the difference is not very clear. In either case, the most important thing is to get the pain controlled. Even most fractures of the rib do not need surgery and are still managed in very much the same way as pain from soft tissues unless they constitute a threat to surrounding structures. This is clearly not the case with you. A trial of Tylenol and ibuprofen would be able to receive you of these pains if you do not have any contraindication to these. Applying ice packs to these areas would also be a great idea. If the pains should persist beyond 5days, then seeking additional medical care would be encouraged. I hope you find this response helpful. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information or clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor