Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Having pain on head, behind eyes. Not cured by painkillers. EEG, MRI fine. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 660 Questions
progressive intense pain on top of head, aches behind eyes, light sensitivity, painkillers don't help. spent 4 days in hospital, EEG, MRI, MRA fine. Hit head in airplane in December - really started then. Chiropracter helped got rid of headache first day, for a few months, but doesn't help anymore. Comes back when I do work of any kind. Forehead and top of head is warm to touch when headache is worst. I am suspecting occipital nerve in my neck. Neurology doctors in hospital wouldn't even check it out!!! Got an appointment with spine specialist this week. Don't know where else to turn.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 33 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

You said you have progressive headache on top, aches behind eyes, light sensitivity with EEG, MRI, MRA fine. Though you had a history of trauma in airplane in December, this headache may not be related to that because your EEG, MRI, MRA all are fine.

Moreover your headache sounds to me like frontal headache probably due to chronic frontal sinusitis which is usually aggravated by work of any kind. I will suggest you to consult an ENT specialist for that. You must have an x-ray of para-nasal sinuses and it will be even better if you do a CT scan of the para-nasal sinuses and you may consult me with the reports. Also I will suggest you to have an ophthalmological check-up specially refraction testing.

You are suspecting abnormality in occipital nerve. But if occipital nerve was involved then pain will be more on the back of your head not on the top of head and there would be visual problems. Moreover MRI would detect that abnormality. So don’t get worried for that.

Good to have appointment with spine specialist. But it will be helpful to you if you soon consult an ENT specialist and do the tests I suggest you.

If you have more queries on this issue you may consult me by writing back.

I think my guidance will be of help to you.

Wish you good health and quick recovery.

Thank you,
With regards.
Dr. Arnab Maji
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor