Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Having pain near liver, no energy, constipation which turned to diarrhea. Advise?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
Just wondering would this type of bacteria give these symptoms. A pain about where the liver is (so under the rib cage Right side) No energy.. Constipation, then a light grey stools when the constipation finished now it is explosive diarrhoea. (often) we have just returned from a NZ holiday and this problem started before getting home. so we were using public toilets a lot as you do. Would appreciate your advice please.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 days later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It seems you developed gut infection known as gastroenteritis.

This type of infections are caused by various viruses, bacteria, and protozoal organisms.

Explosive type of diarrhea is common with protozoal organisms such as entameba and giardia.

Enatmeba is associated with the infection of liver and gut due to which there will be pain in the liver and associated loose stools.

Virus like hepatitis A also present with loose stools, decreased appetite, and pain under rib cage on right side.

Liver involvement can be known by doing an ultrasound abdomen and liver function tests.

Investigations such as stool routine, microscopy, ova and cysts, and culture and sensitivity will help to know the type and the causative organism for infection.

Because of frequent loose stools, there will be loss of water and electrolytes in stools, leading to dehydration.

I advise you to take sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte as much as you can to prevent dehydration.

Specific drugs like antibiotic or antiprotozoal medication is required if they are due to bacterial or protozoal infection.

Physical examination is required to assess the general condition, hydration status, and the involvement of liver with infection.

Therefore I advise you to consult the physician for physical examination, investigations, and for treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor