Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Having pain like acute pancreatitis. Had Puestow operation and now asked to get endoscopic ultrasound. Suggest?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6497 Questions
I had a poestow operation 20 years ago My doctors have aske me to get endoscopic utrasound which i am getting tuesday what are looking for?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your query and understand that you underwent Puestow procedure (pancreaticojejunostomy) 20 years ago which was probably done for chronic pancreatitis.

You have not mentioned about your present problems but I assume you are having some problem related to your upper abdomen (epigastric region). Endoscopic ultrasound is one of the latest techniques to study the pancreas and its adjacent structures. It is done using a high resolution probe that is inserted through the mouth and even small abnormalities (upto 2 mm) are picked up in great detail.

I suppose your doctors are looking for any structural abnormality in your pancreas and pancreatic duct and any changes that have taken place after your surgery.

Further questions welcome.
Wishing you good health.

Dr Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain like acute pancreatitis. Had Puestow operation and now asked to get endoscopic ultrasound. Suggest? 7 hours later
Yes I had chronic pancreatic My surgeon at that time said I had a blocked byo duct.
Is it possible that I have scare tissue causing my problem?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later

Welcome and thanks for writing in again.

There can be a stricture (due to scar tissue) in the operated region, even after a long time. This may cause pain and distal ductal dilatation. Any other rare structural problem like a growth also can be detected. I assume you are not in the habit of regular alcohol intake.

Hoping for the best.
Wishing you good health.

Dr Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor