Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Having pain in urethra and discharge. Prescribed antibiotics. No sex. Should I be worried?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9579 Questions
Hello Doctors,

I have had uretha pain (did not occur until masterbation the day after being dehydrated from drinking) and I have squeeze my penis/uretha constantly out of paranoia to see discharge but nothing has leaked. I sometimes see..moisture but i assume that my uretha looks somewhat wet after a piss ? I had a culture swab done this past Friday and they also gave me an antibiotic shot in the butt, a "Z" mixture pack drink and i am on a form of "levaquin"..all of this was given to me without conclusive evidence one way or the other. I had started shoving soap and hydogren peroxide in my uretha when it first started and it became really irriated, the pain has subsided for the most part as I've been drinking plenty of water (and taking the levaquin which I was given 21 days worth). I urinated a little bit over an hour before the culture swab and worry that the bacteria was pushed out..should i be concerned this is the case ? I'm freaking out..and again I haven't had any "dischange" no matter how much i squeeze upwards through the uretha. I feel like I'm making it worse if anything. Please help me. Oh, I am married and did have sex a week before the symptons; i have not had sex since then but tried to masterbate as explained earlier.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 59 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in your urethra following intercourse with your wife.

There was not any discharge even on squeezing the penis and culture report of the swab was also not conclusive.

Looking at all the aspect it looks like to be not due to infection but it may be due to vigorous rough handling of the penis while masturbating
Please do not worry as long as you do not have any discharge and urinary symptoms.

Just drink more water .I think you do not need any medicine except pain killers like Brufen for few days.

It should get cured within a week.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in urethra and discharge. Prescribed antibiotics. No sex. Should I be worried? 9 minutes later
Thank you very much for the response. I have not yet found out the results of the culture swab yet but do you have reason to suggest it may be positive for an STI ? Is urinating over an hour before the swab going to affect detection of bacteria ? Should I get a urine test instead first thing in the morning ? I am having an issue with increased "pre-cum" while masterbating..a lot more so than I've had in my life; it's all clear but could this be penile discharge ? Initially my urine stream and my ejaculation have been weak. I had read that semen leakage is a sign of the weakening of the parasympathetic nerve that keeps the ejaculation valve closed and helps to maintain an erection. If this electrical feedback loop develops a problem, eventually erectile dysfunction can develop. Could it be possible that I may have a prostate infection; is the way only to get a prostate infection, sexually ? These are my final questions and I appreciate your assistance.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 47 minutes later
You have too many misconception regarding erection and Ejaculation.
I would answer your queries point to point.
Since you have sexual relationship with your wife only there are no chances of STI.

Increased or excessive pre cum is not abnormal at all. It is the secretion of periurethral glands located in urethra to facilitate pain free passage of thick semen through urethra and quantity differs from person to person and even in same individual from time to time depending upon the sexual arousal, sexual stimulation etc.It is not significant as far as ejaculation and has no role to play in erection.

Normally we advise to give fresh samples of discharge for culture as urination may wash out the bacteria.You can give fresh samples or go for simple Routine urine test.

There is nothing like semen leak, it comes out only at the climax of sexual satisfaction (Orgasm)and has no role to play in erectile dysfunction.or maintaining erection.

Prostate infection will always reflect with urinary and other symptoms like fever ,pain in the perineal region etc. and can be detected by doing digital rectal examination by a qualified Urologist and ultrasound scanning,and routine urine test.
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in urethra and discharge. Prescribed antibiotics. No sex. Should I be worried? 33 minutes later
Thank you ! Does frequent urination attribute to anything as well ?

If I were to have had a unprotected sexual encounter with another women, would that rise concern for an STI at that point ? I know a majority of STI's in women are asymptomatic; how long can an STI go unoticed within a woman's vagina/cervix ?

I still have pain when I urinate occasionally..either at the very end of the uretha or in the middle of my penis head..the uretha right there is where the pain usually is when i urinate/ejaculate.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for fresh query.
Chances of getting STD are very high whenever there is a unprotected sexual intercourse with a female partner other than your wife.

It is diffult to predict the duration of symptom free period for symptoms of STI in female.

Some females do not have symptoms of STI ever for years together.

As regards pain while passing urine it may be due to UTI or prostatitis and can be confirmed by routine Urine test and ultrasound scanning.

For painful urination take antibiotics like Cifotaxime.along with urine alkaliser for a week.

Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine dilute.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in urethra and discharge. Prescribed antibiotics. No sex. Should I be worried? 19 minutes later
Alright, I'm currently on Levaquin, will taking the Alkaselzter interfere with it at all ? Is it possible to have infected my wife with something from an encounter in the past ? I've been married for 3 years, I had unprotected sex with a woman multiple times before I started dating my current wife. Is it possible to have carried an STI/STIs to my wife without either of us getting symptoms until this point ? Can we both be asymptomatic carriers ? Also, if I was treated before the incubation periods for some of these sexual bacterias and I possibly pass tests, can they still form once my medication/antibiotics are done ? For instance, what i mean, is if I had sex 5 days ago, will gnorehea/chlamydia be able to even show up that soon ? Will antibiotics used to soon affect their showing up ? Thanks so much for answering everything.

Sorry, one more thing to add..a day or two after sex I put hydrogen peroxide and soap down my uretha..can this cause damage ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
You could disclosed the facts in your query earlier that you had unprotected sex with another woman before you got married.

Since you do not have any symptoms of STD it is unlikely you be a carrier of STD.

However dormant infection can not be ruled out unless you get basic blood tests for STD done,

Symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases can manifest at any time after exposure.The severity of symptoms may be less if one has taken proper antibiotic.

Putting hydrogen peroxide or soap in urethra may cause allergic reaction to uretrhra due to chemicals in soap or due to hydrogen peroxide itself.

There is no harm in taking urine alkaliser along with Levaquine that you are taking now .
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor