Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having pain in the lower abdominal area. Suffer frequent urination. Taking tylenol. Suggest intestinal infection. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
My husband has been having pain in his lower left abdomen area for maybe about 6 wks. now. It's not always constant. Sometimes it hurts worse than others. He's had frequent urinating for about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs. & seems to always dribble. He says it seems to hurts worse when he bents or jumps down out of a trailer ( maybe a couple ft. from ground). He's been taking Tylenol but that hasn't been helping. He's even started taking 4 Tylenol at a time so I know that the pain is getting really. I thought maybe a hernia , bladder infection, or prostate problems. He went to the PA yesterday, she didn't check him for a hernia, prostate or bladder. She just put him on Ciprofloxacin & Metronidazole, saying he has infection in his intestines(diverticulitis). He doesn't have a fever. She didn't do any kind of tests at all. Would you have to have some tests done to determine if it's diverticulitis? Could it be something else like hernia,bladder or prostate? He says when it hurts it's really bad. I noticed sometimes when he moves or bends he moans & makes a face, so I know he is really in pain.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXX! I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

From the history of increased frequency of urination and dribbling, I would suspect more of a chronic Sometimes a chronic UTI gives rise to symptoms of localized peritonitis with typical tenderness over palpation and this could be the reason for your husband getting pain on bending down or jumping. But it can not be confirmed or excluded without getting examined clinically and a routine and culture sensitivity test of the urine, apart from an ultrasound of the abdomen if need be. This will also show pathology in the kidneys, ureter, bladder and prostate if there is any. I will also avoid starting an emperical broad spectrum antibiotics without a culture sensitivity of the urine excepting in some more urgent medical situations.

For knowing if he has hernia or not, he has to be clinically examined by the treating doctor and this clinical examination can not be superseded by any investigations.

Diverticulitis is usually a problem with those who are chronically constipated, and do not include a lot of fiber and liquids in their diet. However, to confirm this, some special tests like colonoscopy or a barium enema has to be done if indicated.

I would suggest you to get your husband reviewed by a urologist initially and once he excludes any urinary tract problem, then to seek the help of a general surgeon/gastroenterologist to sought out the matter with further investigations.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have got any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor