Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Having pain in stomach while standing or sitting. Medical test normal. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I feel a mild to strong pain in my right side of stomach when I'am sitting or standing a certain way. Last year I had a stomach altrasound done chest xray and a test for heart burn done to check my reflux... And everything came back normal. I'am still really concerned about what could be wrong. Some times it feels like a pulling pain not sure if I'am describing my symptoms good enough to get some answers.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 44 minutes later
The ultrasound helps to rule out gallstones and also
any enlargement of liver which is on the right side.
I am assuming the test you had for reflux was an
The organ close to the liver is a portion of the large
bowel called "Hepatic Flexure".There is a twist at
that point.Sometimes, intestinal gas gets trapped
in that area and changing positions will displace
the gas making it worse or better.
If you have a tendency to have more gas, you can
try over the counter medications like Gas-X or
Phazyme three times a day after meals.If you eat
lot of bean products, there is "Beano" product.
Check to see if you have lactose or gluten sensitivity.
There is a breath test for lactose problem and
blood tests for Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Gently rubbing the abdomen starting from right
lower side,across the top and around the left,
few times helps to move the gas.
Peppermint oil, one half teaspoon mixed with
a half a glass of water.
Sometimes,pinched nerve under the rib cage can
givepain as well.
Hope this information helps you.
Wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in stomach while standing or sitting. Medical test normal. What's wrong? 13 minutes later
It dose help some what all though I still have concern considering I have had this type of pain going on for a very long time. It has been off and on for a few years sometimes it feels like my ribs hurt then I get a pulling pain in my adomenal area andclike I said it can be a discomfort to sit and move a certain way. I guess I'am worried about cancer it really freaks me out.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Since you tell me that you had this on and off for a long
time, I don't think you have to worry about cancer.
If you were losing weight ,losing appetite,show some
lumps in the stomach area etc, then you need to have
additional testing done. My guess is that you have a mild form
of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and have trapped gas in that
part of the colon called the hepatic flexure.
It can olny be muscle related or cartilage (Rib ) related.
Wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in stomach while standing or sitting. Medical test normal. What's wrong? 14 minutes later
Thank you is there a test to do for IBS that I can ask my doctor about because I think I asked her that before and she leaned more towards it not being IBS . But this dose make sence if it is muscle related and ribs cartilage related because it dose sound a lot like the problem I have been having is pulling feeling at times which would be muscle I assume and the soreness on the ribs. It's not comfortable to sleep on my right side because of it feeling tender at times. So thank you for your medical opinion I feel a little better. I will send you more questions if I notice anything else.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 47 minutes later
Thank you for your kind comments.
As for IBS, there is no special test, blood or
x-rays. It is a matter of sitting down and talking
to you about your symptoms. There iare criteria
that the doctors use called "The Rome III criteria XXXXXXX
which is based on the symptoms.
Of course we have to make sure a person does
not have any alarm symptoms such as bleeding,
weight loss, loss of appetite, fever etc.
If these are absent, then we think of IBS diagnosis.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor