Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Having pain in rib area. What can be done?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
i have pain in upper right rib area .it was dull for a few days . than it was so sharp i went to er and tests came up nothing . i am not eating right now . but pain still a 6 out of 10 it started with pain in my right upper back . i few people by me have recently had the same symtoms.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 35 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have difficulty in breathing/ chest pain/ cough with sputum/ fever?
Do you have acidic belching/ retrosternal burning pain/ difficulty in swallowing?
Are you a smoker or an alcoholic?

My answer may be tweaked with the available information. With the available described details, there appears to be possibility of muscle ache.
Muscle ache could also be a feature of associated viral infection as the same symptoms are present in other people also.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.
You should also go for CT/ MRI scan chest if needed and other supportive symptoms are present.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take analgesics along with muscle relaxants for relief of your symptoms.
Requirement of antibiotic will be decided on the basis of chest x XXXXXXX findings and your symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in rib area. What can be done? 1 hour later
i had chest xray done.and all sort of bloodwork done everything came up good. i have belching, no cough or chest diffucult swallowing, pain in upper right stomach by ribs , non smoker or drinker. the back pain was near right sholder blade. there are some stomach bugs going around that have cause the same symtoms. my friend had a GI cocktail that cured hers. what are the viral infections you are talking about ? i was taking antibodics for prostate infection. for months. i feel like the killed all my good bacteria. i got upperback pains and side ribs a week later. than a week later dull pain than peircing pain for a day in stomach by ribs on right side , now back to dull. the friend i had said doctors thought it was a strange stomach flu go aroud that a bunch of people came in with same symtoms . they put her on a prescrition type of prilosec
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, and continue Prilosec.
Its very difficult to differentiate between viral and bacterial etiology and you should take complete antibiotic therapy.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in rib area. What can be done? 8 minutes later
what are types of antibiotic therapy? what are antispasmodics? what does viral and bacterial etiology mean? is that in stomach or where does that occur? i need a better understanding of this .
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 27 minutes later
Different antibiotics are effective in involvement of different organ of human body.
Site of involvement decides the exact antibiotics.
As there is doubt regarding involvement of stomach bug, you should take fluoroquinolones and metronidazole.
Antispasmodics are the medicines which helps in getting relief from spasmodic abdominal pain.
Spasmodic abdominal pain is common in gastroenteritis, renal stone, gall stones and intestinal obstruction.
An infection could be viral or bacterial in origin and clinically differentiation between bacteria and virus by defined symptom is very difficult.
There appears to high possibility of gastroenteritis caused by stomach bug.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor