Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Having pain in mid back. Ultrasound showed prominent upper pole. Should I go for kidney MRI?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
I need to have an MRI on my kidney because an ultrasound showed a prominent right upper pole. I have a vague ache in my right mid back. I had the ultrasound because my creatinine level was 1.5. I had it retested two weeks later and It is now 1.3 I'm scared that this might be cancer. Any information will be appreciated.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Prominence on ultrasound is a subjective assessment by the sonologist.
It may not mean anything.
The right next step is CT or MRI which will characterize the kidneys better.
Once we have the report of MRI we can discuss.
I will be surprised if there is anything serious in the MRI.
Cancer usually does not present as pain.
best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor