Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Having pain in leg. Did dry needle acupuncture and small lump. How to get PET scan for cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 431 Questions
Hi how do I get my gp to ask for a pet scan if not willing to. Want to rule out various things that causing pain in leg
Pain was just above ankle , osteo did some dry needle acupuncture and small lump XXXXXXX My mind keeps telling me there is cancer in that region approx 15 cm long. Is it my mind?? Or am I In tune with my body. Very tight legs even after stretching I become even more tight and sore...
Friend had same issue and after 6 yrs discovered cancer fom the knee to hip all cause docs wouldn't do pet scan .which reveled everything.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 2 hours later

I am happy to answer you with the mission to give you an idea about Pet scan.

This is a very important investigation to rule out the spread of cancer (Metastasis) to other parts of the body when a primary has been found.

You have the suspicion of cancer in the leg. Please discuss with your doctor about the causes of the swelling and tests available. The doctor has to take one step at a time. Your doctor will prescribe, if needed, other investigations like plain x-ray or CT scan or MRI to see if there is any evidence of malignancy. If any thing suspicious is found in these investigations then you need to have a biopsy from the lesion. If the biopsy confirms malignancy, then only Pet may be needed. Therefore at this stage you need not impress your doctor for pet scan.

There are many other causes of pain you are describing, Follow with your doctor who will do the needful according to situation.

Dr. J. Ticku.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in leg. Did dry needle acupuncture and small lump. How to get PET scan for cancer? 18 hours later
Thank you for your answer, though my major concern is that I have done bone scan which showed something mid leg in the region. X-ray nothing shown.
The same situation had occurred with a very close friend and after all those you mentioned above nothing showed. Pet scan revealed it instantly.. By this time it spread and went from knee to hip and ended in surgery. Is there an issue with going straight for a pet scan.. Especially if it will reveal and save time and give a definite answer.. Which I assume is the most accurate method of getting to the bottom of it...I value your expert opinion but if found out a year later something was there I would not be impressed with my gp and if anything lose faith in his opinion..look forward to your reply
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 37 minutes later

Thank you for your repeat query. The bone scan you performed must be showing either increased uptake of the isotope possibly technetium or decreased uptake which you have not mentioned as to what was the characteristic of it.

However, the increased uptake must be because of some inflammatory problem in the region or sometimes old healed fractures. The nuclear physician who performed the scan must have given his opinion regarding the same, which you should take into consideration. Pet scan will also show the same increased uptake of the chemical. Therefore, ethically it will be wrong to ask for pet at this stage. Follow with your primary physician before jumping into any conclusion of your own. I will again tell you doing a Pet will not be a confirmatory test for malignancy. Only histological evidence is confirmatory.

I hope you understand my point.

Dr. j. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in leg. Did dry needle acupuncture and small lump. How to get PET scan for cancer? 1 hour later
Thank you. I guess due to my mind and it's way of telling me that something is wrong.. Perhaps my question should of gone to a professional with mind, anxiety etc.. Thanks for your time. Hopefully will rectify itself soon..
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 51 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I value your queries with concern but I wish to inform you again that before PET, you need to have CT/MRI to rule out that it is a tumor.
I wish you best of luck.
Dr. J. Ticku

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor