Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Having pain in knee, diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I am having a great deal of pain in my right knee. It has been hurting for about three days now. Each day it seems to get worse. It hurts worse when I put weight on it or bend it. It is barely swollen, not a great deal but just barely noticeable. I have been diagnosed with both osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.
My fibromyalgia seems to affect my joints more than it does my muscles.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There can be degenerative meniscus tear

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Pain in osteoarthritis knee increases on exertion, so you need to take few days rest, avoid strain on your knee.
You can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate, which you need to take for couple of months.
Degenerative meniscus tear is common in patients with osteoarthritis.Meniscus tear can lead to sudden onset of pain and some times knee swelling.
I will advise you to wear hinged knee brace and take analgesics.
If required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

Fibromyalgia does not have cure, you can only minimise symptoms by taking anti-inflammatory.
A holistic approach is required, which includes exercises, yoga, meditation and acupuncture.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor