Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Having pain in knee and there is no swelling. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
I am 31 year old male, moderately built, height 176 cm, weight 80 kgs, I have been doing 5 km running daily for about a month, Also, I play squash and Table tennis.and now I feel pain in my knees. Although the pain is bearable, I wonder whether an expert consultation is required at the moment. There is no swelling as such.

Anything that I should be concerned about? Please advise what I have to do.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in your query.

Doesn't really ring an alarm bell but knee pain can turn notorious if care is not taken initially. You seem to do a lot of athletic activity and its possible that you might have damaged an XXXXXXX structure while doing so. XXXXXXX structures like menisci, ligaments, cartilage are vulnerable if adequate gear is not worn.

You should most certainly be concerned but not worried about the situation. Avoid running and all sporting activity till pain subsides completely. Although bearable, you must take anti inflammatory medications and local ice pack fomentation to help inflammation to subside early. Do not bend the knee for any position unless absolutely necessary and avoid using staircase for a while.

If this condition is not self limiting or requires prolonged rest or if it relapses, get it clinically examined and get an MRI done for early accurate diagnosis.
Please feel free to ask more, I'm available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in knee and there is no swelling. Should I be concerned? 3 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt answer.

I would like to consult you in person, if that is possible, where could I XXXXXXX up for a consultation?
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for replying back.

I shall be glad to treat you in person. I'm available in Sevenhills hospital Mumbai. For appointment please call me on +0 0000.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor