Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Having pain in knee. Diagnosed with chondromalacia patella. Precaution and medicine to be taken?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10337 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I am having pain in both of my knees from past few months. I showed it to doctor and he told me that i am having Chondromalacia patella.
Can you please tell me how much it often take it to recover,
Can i do some physical activities
what are the major precautions i need to take.
Is there a medicie to recover from it quickly.

Thanks .
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Chondromalacia patella is usually associated with pain during motion. The best way is to avoid the painful activities.
Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for proper treatment. Quad sets are done by contraction the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day.You can do the required exercises under the care of an expert physiotherapist.
Get your shoes examined for proper biomechanical fit.
Heat application and use of knee brace is advised for proper knee support at the time of exercise.
Avoid such activities as squatting, kneeling, heavy lifting, climbing, etc.
Adding glucosamine sulfate as supplement after consulting your orthopedician may help in relieving your symptoms.
With adequate physical therapy and treatment, usually the patient becomes symptom free in 3-4 months.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor