Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Having pain in kidney, vomiting, uneasiness in stomach. blood test done. Suggest some effective medicine?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 442 Questions
I am having a constant pain in the right kidney since a week.I am also vomitting out whatever I am taking and I am feeling an uneasiness in my upper stomach.I have done blood test for bilirubin,sgot(ast),sgpt(alt) and ultra sonography for entire abdomen.Results for blood test : Total bilirubin : 0.3, Direct bilirubin:0.1,Indirect bilirubin:0.2,Albumin:4.2,Total protein:7.1,Globulin:2.9,A/g ratio:1.45,SGOT(AST):27,SGPT(ALT):40,ALP:116.
Report for ultrasonography: Liver: Enlarged in size(14.6cm),showing heterogeneous parenchymal echopattern.Intrahepatic biliary channels are not dilated.No focal solid or cystic SOL is seen.
Pancrease:Is normal in size,shape but echotexture is heterogeneous.No focal solid or cystic SOL seen.Pancreatic duct is not dilated.Peri-pancreatic tissue is normal.
Kidneys: Both kidneys are normal in size,shape and outline.Renal parenchyma and central echo- complexes are within normal limits except right kidney shows moderate pelvicalyceal fullness.Left kidney shows a cortical cyst of diameter 1.6 cm.Right kidney measures 11.1cm and Left kidney measures 11.5cm.
Ureters:Both ureters are not dilated. Everything else is normal.Please suggest any medicine for cure.
XXXXXX Kolkata,India
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

I just went through your all reports. In your LFT reports, everything is within normal range but your USG abdomen showing enlarge liver with heterogeneous echogenicity that is typically seen in cirrhosis of liver, Fatty liver disease, alcoholic liver disease and various storage disease and all off this disease have strong connection with alcohol intake.

The uneasiness in the upper stomach may be due to liver enlargement or peptic ulcer disease.

So for your liver problem you have to do some basic laboratory investigation like-complete blood count, lipid profile, GGT (to see evidences of alcohol induce liver damage), Serum amylase and lipase, Upper GI endoscopy (to see any esophageal varices for cirrhosis of liver, peptic ulcer).

In your right kidney you have dilatation of right pelvicalyceal system (hydronephrotic) indicate any renal calculi or may be any mass in the abdomen compressing on your renal pelvis.

That is to be confirmed by doing Intravenous urogram (IVU) and for renal function you need to do blood for urea and creatinine and if needed you may have to do DTPA scan later on to see renal function.

For now, please follow-
1.     Take plenty of water
2.     Avoid fatty, oily, spicy, high protein diet.
3.     Contain high amount of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits
4.     Avoid all kind of addiction (alcohol, Smoking, tobacco)
5.     Don’t take any drugs without prescription.
6.     You can take a hepatoprotective drugs (like Liv 52)
7.     Take care of your regular stool if it don’t occur regularly take a laxative (lactulose is preferred in your cases).

Consult your physician, the test to be done and after reach the proper diagnosis you can be referred to a gastroenterologist and nephrologist.

Proper drug can only be given after diagnosis of the disease.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer, and please write a review.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor