Having pain in jaw and ears. Took antibiotic. Test required to detect the problem?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had problems with my ears for a couple of months now have been to gp twice and dentists and been on 2 courses of antibiotics, tooth was removed as a source of possible in fection, the pain is in both my outer ears and sometimes back of my head near the ears also when i open my mouth i have a apin in my jaw
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an ear examination done by an ENT Specialist. This will settle the issue. If you can share any endoscopic pictures of your ear canals and ear drums, it will enable me to give you an accurate diagnosis.

2. If your ears are normal on examination, then you are experiencing a referred pain as the nerve supply of the ear is common with the head (including teeth), neck chest and even upper abdomen.

3. the pain behind the ears may be due to mastoiditis. The temporomandibular (jaw) joint is in very close to the outer ear canal and hence pain in the jaw when you open the mouth may imply inflammation in the ear canal or in the muscles of the jaw.

4. Direct examination of the ear by an otoscope or under a microscope is the best option. Further tests and treatment will depend upon the diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.