Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Having pain in jaw and ears. Took antibiotic. Test required to detect the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2553 Questions
I have had problems with my ears for a couple of months now have been to gp twice and dentists and been on 2 courses of antibiotics, tooth was removed as a source of possible in fection, the pain is in both my outer ears and sometimes back of my head near the ears also when i open my mouth i have a apin in my jaw
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an ear examination done by an ENT Specialist. This will settle the issue. If you can share any endoscopic pictures of your ear canals and ear drums, it will enable me to give you an accurate diagnosis.

2. If your ears are normal on examination, then you are experiencing a referred pain as the nerve supply of the ear is common with the head (including teeth), neck chest and even upper abdomen.

3. the pain behind the ears may be due to mastoiditis. The temporomandibular (jaw) joint is in very close to the outer ear canal and hence pain in the jaw when you open the mouth may imply inflammation in the ear canal or in the muscles of the jaw.

4. Direct examination of the ear by an otoscope or under a microscope is the best option. Further tests and treatment will depend upon the diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor